Open Water Swimming at Millbrook Quarry
Rehab to Racing and Colburn Body Concepts offers an open water swim training venue near Haymarket, Virginia. Millbrook Quarry is a privately owned, spring-fed rock quarry.
In this pristine body of water you will be able to experience open water swimming,
practice your sighting and turns, and build your open water confidence before race day.
We have set up a series of turn buoys to simulate a race course. Between the first and
second buoy there is a floating line to help guide novice open water swimmers. This is an informal training opportunity, however open water swim coaching is available with our coaches. There will be opportunities to simulate mass starts and have timed swims.
Swim Time: 12-3 pm
Single swim ticket/waivers are $30 purchased in advance online through the links
below. Active duty military or Wounded Warriors swim for $20. Season passes(unlimited swim dates) are available. Photo ID must be presented with the pass. You must purchase your single swim ticket/waiver by midnight Saturday before
the Sunday swim. Tickets cannot be purchased at the gate. Only paid swimmers may
enter the water. No recreational swimming is allowed.
Swimmers may be dropped off, but anyone who wishes to stay to support
the swimmer must pay for a ticket/waiver. This is the policy of the quarry
management and Rehab to Racing has no way to alter this requirement.
Open Water Swim Practice Regulations:
- Your safety is our primary consideration. For that reason, you must wear a wetsuit and a swim cap.
- Admission to the quarry is granted with your Ticket/Waiver that you must print after paying for your ticket on the website. Sign and date the swim Ticket/Waiver, and give an emergency contact person's full name and
phone number. If you have a Season Pass, your waiver is on file, but you MUST notify email@example.com each date you plan to swim.
- Check into the Quarry with the gatekeeper 30 minutes before your scheduled
swim time. Present your completed R2R/CBC Millbrook Quarry swim Ticket/Waiver or Seasons Pass to the attendant, who will have a check list of all who have paid their admission fees online. If there is a sign that says to "wait
for the gatekeeper," WAIT.
- Millbrook Quarry is private property. Our continued use of this facility depends upon our care of the property and water resource. You must respect all requests of Quarry or R2R/CBC personnel on site. Please be considerate of others at all times. You must use the porta-potties (not the woods) and pick up all trash before leaving.
- The SPEED LIMIT is 5 mph. Failure to observe this may get your pass revoked.
- SCUBA divers have the right of way at all times both on land and in the water.
- Parking is limited, so please carpool.
- Only service dogs are allowed at the Quarry and must be leashed.
- Only swimmers who have paid through the R2R website will be allowed in the
water. Each person entering the gate must pay the entrance fee in advance.
- You must bring all your hydration and nutrition with you. There is food and a
grocery at the intersection of 55 and 15, but none at the swim site.
- You MUST wear a wetsuit and visible swim cap at all times when in the water.
A skin suit or compression swim garment is not adequate. Note that in April and
May the water will be quite cold, often in the upper 50s. You should consider
bringing a neoprene cap if you are sensitive to cold water. More info on cold
water swimming: http://rehabtoracing.com/Cold_water_swimming.php There will
be a safety kayaker at all times.
- Open water swim coaching is available, but must be pre-arranged by e-mail
with firstname.lastname@example.org The fee is $55/person for a 30 minute
session with an R2R/CBC swim coach. (Limit of 2 swimmers per coaching session.) Payment for coaching is by check or cash at the time of the coaching, in addition to the entry fee.
- You may want to read Fearless Swimming for Triathletes by Ingrid Miller. Good
info on OW swimming.
- You are expected to log yourself into and out of the water.
2013 Swim Dates:
Team Z/Active Duty Military or Wounded Warriors
Active Duty Military or Wounded Warriors
The address at Millbrook Quarry is 17301 John Marshall Hwy, Broad Run, VA 20137
Look for the R2R/CBC Swim sign and entrance on the left, just past the Broad Run bridge. Enter there and take the left fork.
Give your ticket/waiver to the gatekeeper and proceed past all the divers to Beach 3.
Look for R2R/CBC sign at the far end of the clearing as you slowly drive around the quarry.
SPEED LIMIT is 5 mph.
This is an incredibly beautiful and pristine swim venue! We know you will enjoy it and
return many times! Please follow our few rules and help us keep Millbrook Quarry the
home of Rehab to Racing and Colburn Body Concepts' swim training site. Thank you in advance!